Getting married should be one of the most important days of a woman’s life. More times than not, women dream of their wedding day years before it happens. They will have every little detail planned to perfection in their heads, but implementing their dreams comes with challenges.
Unfortunately, many brides make some common mistakes in the endeavor to realize that dream. As a certified wedding coordinator, I was taught to be aware of these mistakes, and I am passing some of that knowledge on to you. The following list describes the pitfalls you want to avoid while planning your nuptials:
- Bride’s who “blow” their budget – Bride’s are generally excited about planning their wedding day and tend to “jump the gun” and start booking vendors right and left without thoroughly shopping the competition. Most vendors require down payments to book an event and in the case of cancellation, the down payment will most likely not be refunded. So, brides, shop before you book!
- The couple who doesn’t know the rules for obtaining a marriage license – There are very important rules that need to be followed in order to receive a marriage license, and if the rules are not followed, you will not receive it in time for the ceremony. To receive a license in Louisiana, you must bring birth certificates, $26 in cash, and divorce papers if either of you have been married before. Also, the marriage license must be purchased no later than seventy-two hours before the wedding, and the license is good for only thirty days.
- The bride who waits to the last minute to order her wedding gown – The wedding gown is one of the most important features in your wedding! You will want to make sure you get what you want, so go shopping almost immediately after you get engaged. It is extremely rare that a wedding gown will be bought directly off the rack, ready to wear. Most gowns will need to be ordered and then altered; so saving enough time to complete those tasks is crucial. Give yourself at least four months.
- The bride who does not affix the correct postage to her invitations – Most invitations require additional postage beyond the thirty-seven cents that is already required. The printing company you have hired will most likely be able to tell you how much postage you need to make sure your invitations will be delivered properly, but it is always a good idea to take a “ready to mail” invitation to the post office for weighing.
- The bride who tries to plan the entire wedding on her own – Your engagement period should be one of the most enjoyable times in your life, so why ruin it by stressing yourself out trying to plan the perfect wedding! It is unbelievable how much time and effort goes in to planning a wedding, so it is advisable to delegate different tasks to friends or family, or better yet, hire a wedding planner!
Mistakes are easy to make when you are not armed with the knowledge it takes to prevent them. I hope this article helps many a bride to relax and enjoy her engagement and wedding day.
Erin Sharplin Love
I am an avid proponent of the “To Do List” and have been searching for one that fits my needs perfectly for a while. I’ve ordered numerous ones from Etsy DIYers. Purchased them from Target and other companies and even used plain, old, boring, lined paper. Unfortunately, though, those “to do” lists never made me happy, so … I create my own AND I’m sharing! Please feel free to print and share this “To Do List” until your heart’s content. I just ask one thing! Please leave me a comment stating “I printed your To Do List!” so I’ll know just how many of you love it as much as I do! Thank you!
Please click the pdf link below to print your FREE To Do List!
Don’t forget to let me know you printed it, please!
Thank you so much!
10 Reasons to Get Organized
Has getting organized been on your “to do” list for a while, but you just can’t seem to find the time, or courage, to tackle it? Sometimes all you need is a little motivation to make things happen, so below is a list of 10 reasons to get organized now!
- Save Money – I thought I would start with this reason because we all want to save a little bit of money, don’t we? Getting organized will, for instance, save you money by getting rid of late fees that you have paid because you misplaced or forgot about a bill. Also, how many times have you purchased another can of tomatoes because you didn’t know you already had several at home?
- Save Time – Getting organized will save you a whole lot of time, because you will no longer have to waste it by looking for misplaced items!
- Reduce Stress – As clutter builds, so does your stress level. Simply beginning the organizing process will reduce the level of stress immediately.
- Become More Efficient – Clearing your desk of clutter, for instance, will make getting things done much easier and faster.
- Have More Fun – Since you’ll be saving time by getting organized, that means that you’ll have more of an opportunity to do the things you love.
- Never Be Late Again – Being late and being disorganized seem to go hand-in-hand. When you are organized it’s much easier to get ready and be out of the door on time.
- Enjoy Your Home – A clean, organized home is much more relaxing than a dirty, disorganized home! Let’s face it…clutter isn’t pretty!
- Find More Energy – Clutter is nothing but an energy drainer. Walk into the most cluttered room of your home. How does it make you feel? Drained, tired, and like you want to fly the coop I bet! Getting rid of clutter will immediately free up your energy.
- Find Your Focus – Piles of paper clutter tend to taunt you with unfinished tasks, but when the clutter is gone you will find it easier to focus and complete the tasks which are of utmost importance.
- Become a Positive Influence – Sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation to get organized on our own. By getting organized you may be the influence that a friend or family member needed.
Here’s another tip – Print this article and post it somewhere you will see it daily. That way getting and/or staying organized will always be at the top of your “to-do” list.
Thank you for stopping by my blog! Please feel free to share these tips and/or comment below!