Packing Like a Pro!
Summer is fast approaching, and that means it’s time to start prepping for that upcoming beach trip! When it comes to packing for the beach, “minimal” is the word you should live (and pack) by. Admit it…lugging around a heavy, overly-packed bag isn’t fun – not to mention the stress it will cause when you try to get dressed each day. Vacations are supposed to be fun; why shouldn’t the preparation be fun, too? Below are my tips for packing like a pro:
Preparation is key! Stop cramming your suitcase with pieces of outfits; instead, take the time to create a written list of what you’ll need based on your itinerary. How many dressy outfits will you need? What about casual outfits? How many days will you lie on the beach or sight see? Once you’ve answered the major questions, you can begin choosing clothes that will mix and match to create the perfect outfit for each occasion. You can even go one step further by taking snapshots of each outfit and labeling them according to activity. No thinking – just fun! Finally, give yourself a little leeway by adding an extra outfit or two for anything that may come up unexpectedly.
Never underestimate the power of a list! I suggest making a list of the necessities you will need such as sunscreen, toothbrush, and toothpaste. Better yet, print the list that’s included with this article or create your own.
Pack efficiently! The better organized your suitcase, the more you can pack! Below is a bullet list of tips for packing efficiently:
- Compartmentalize by using plastic baggies and zippered pouches for toiletries and other small items, such as your MP3 player and ear buds.
- Roll your clothes instead of folding them. A rolled item takes up less space than a folded one; plus it is less likely to wrinkle.
- Shoes and other heavy items should be placed along the wheel base, or the bottom of your suitcase, to balance the suitcase’s center of gravity. Use the inside of those shoes for socks and other small items.
- Lining the bottom of your suitcase with a plastic bag helps prevent wrinkles, and you’ll have an extra trash bag if needed.
- Crushable items should be the last thing placed in the suitcase.
- Utilize all built-in compartments for small items like underwear and bathing suits.
- If possible, leave one large compartment empty and ready for any soiled or dirty clothing. It is always better to pack clean clothes separately from dirty clothes.
- I suggest packing similar items together, such as shirts with shirts, so nothing gets compressed by a heavier object. This is why my first tip of taking quick snapshots of each outfit comes in handy!
- Pack most-used items, like MP3 player and ear buds, near the top or in a separate, easy-to-access compartment.
Remember, the fewer items you pack, the fewer you will need to unpack when the trip is over! One way to pack efficiently is to take one or two basic jeans or pants with three or four tops that would work for both dressy and casual occasions. Remember, accessories can transform the simplest of outfits into the most stylish so be sure to pack some statement-making pieces. Have fun!
Thank you so much for dropping by!
Simple Tips to Make Sure Your Man is Involved in the Planning Process, Too!
Many times, it seems that almost all of the wedding planning is usually left up to the bride and her family; however, it doesn’t have to be that way. The planning process is probably going to be the part of your wedding that you remember the most– believe me! On your wedding day, you will be so full of adrenaline that the festivities will seem to fly by and be over before you realize it. So, take the time to really enjoy the part leading up to the ceremony and reception by including your partner as much as you can. Consider a few of my tips below:
- Does your partner have a special gift? For instance, is he great with the computer? Then consider having him help design your wedding website or print the invitations and/or programs. Can he weld? If so, have him create a kneeling bench or part of a gazebo for the ceremony. Try to figure out his gifts, and use them!
- Let him do the tipping! I’m sure this task will help his manly ego!
- What about a band or DJ? I bet he would enjoy doing the research for this tip! Even better, the bride and groom could do the research together by visiting different venues!
- Leave the drinks up to him! Ask his opinion on what drinks should be served at your reception.
- Are you going to have a “get away” car? If so, let him do the choosing, whether it is a Rolls, a Benz, or a monster truck. Making this decision is sure to make him happy.
- Let him choose his tux or suit. Of course, give him a few limitations, but let the final decision be up to him.
- Split the guest list. After all, he has to invite his friends and family, too!
- Incorporate his religion and/or beliefs into the ceremony or reception if they are different from yours.Even if your fiancé is diehard about wanting to be left out of the planning process right now, I bet he will jump at the chance to be included in the tasks I mentioned above. Go ahead! Get him involved!
Even if your fiancé is diehard about wanting to be left out of the planning process right now, I bet he will jump at the chance to be included in the tasks I mentioned above. Go ahead! Get him involved!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Getting married should be one of the most important days of a woman’s life. More times than not, women dream of their wedding day years before it happens. They will have every little detail planned to perfection in their heads, but implementing their dreams comes with challenges.
Unfortunately, many brides make some common mistakes in the endeavor to realize that dream. As a certified wedding coordinator, I was taught to be aware of these mistakes, and I am passing some of that knowledge on to you. The following list describes the pitfalls you want to avoid while planning your nuptials:
- Bride’s who “blow” their budget – Bride’s are generally excited about planning their wedding day and tend to “jump the gun” and start booking vendors right and left without thoroughly shopping the competition. Most vendors require down payments to book an event and in the case of cancellation, the down payment will most likely not be refunded. So, brides, shop before you book!
- The couple who doesn’t know the rules for obtaining a marriage license – There are very important rules that need to be followed in order to receive a marriage license, and if the rules are not followed, you will not receive it in time for the ceremony. To receive a license in Louisiana, you must bring birth certificates, $26 in cash, and divorce papers if either of you have been married before. Also, the marriage license must be purchased no later than seventy-two hours before the wedding, and the license is good for only thirty days.
- The bride who waits to the last minute to order her wedding gown – The wedding gown is one of the most important features in your wedding! You will want to make sure you get what you want, so go shopping almost immediately after you get engaged. It is extremely rare that a wedding gown will be bought directly off the rack, ready to wear. Most gowns will need to be ordered and then altered; so saving enough time to complete those tasks is crucial. Give yourself at least four months.
- The bride who does not affix the correct postage to her invitations – Most invitations require additional postage beyond the thirty-seven cents that is already required. The printing company you have hired will most likely be able to tell you how much postage you need to make sure your invitations will be delivered properly, but it is always a good idea to take a “ready to mail” invitation to the post office for weighing.
- The bride who tries to plan the entire wedding on her own – Your engagement period should be one of the most enjoyable times in your life, so why ruin it by stressing yourself out trying to plan the perfect wedding! It is unbelievable how much time and effort goes in to planning a wedding, so it is advisable to delegate different tasks to friends or family, or better yet, hire a wedding planner!
Mistakes are easy to make when you are not armed with the knowledge it takes to prevent them. I hope this article helps many a bride to relax and enjoy her engagement and wedding day.
Erin Sharplin Love
I am an avid proponent of the “To Do List” and have been searching for one that fits my needs perfectly for a while. I’ve ordered numerous ones from Etsy DIYers. Purchased them from Target and other companies and even used plain, old, boring, lined paper. Unfortunately, though, those “to do” lists never made me happy, so … I create my own AND I’m sharing! Please feel free to print and share this “To Do List” until your heart’s content. I just ask one thing! Please leave me a comment stating “I printed your To Do List!” so I’ll know just how many of you love it as much as I do! Thank you!
Please click the pdf link below to print your FREE To Do List!
Don’t forget to let me know you printed it, please!
Thank you so much!
10 Reasons to Get Organized
Has getting organized been on your “to do” list for a while, but you just can’t seem to find the time, or courage, to tackle it? Sometimes all you need is a little motivation to make things happen, so below is a list of 10 reasons to get organized now!
- Save Money – I thought I would start with this reason because we all want to save a little bit of money, don’t we? Getting organized will, for instance, save you money by getting rid of late fees that you have paid because you misplaced or forgot about a bill. Also, how many times have you purchased another can of tomatoes because you didn’t know you already had several at home?
- Save Time – Getting organized will save you a whole lot of time, because you will no longer have to waste it by looking for misplaced items!
- Reduce Stress – As clutter builds, so does your stress level. Simply beginning the organizing process will reduce the level of stress immediately.
- Become More Efficient – Clearing your desk of clutter, for instance, will make getting things done much easier and faster.
- Have More Fun – Since you’ll be saving time by getting organized, that means that you’ll have more of an opportunity to do the things you love.
- Never Be Late Again – Being late and being disorganized seem to go hand-in-hand. When you are organized it’s much easier to get ready and be out of the door on time.
- Enjoy Your Home – A clean, organized home is much more relaxing than a dirty, disorganized home! Let’s face it…clutter isn’t pretty!
- Find More Energy – Clutter is nothing but an energy drainer. Walk into the most cluttered room of your home. How does it make you feel? Drained, tired, and like you want to fly the coop I bet! Getting rid of clutter will immediately free up your energy.
- Find Your Focus – Piles of paper clutter tend to taunt you with unfinished tasks, but when the clutter is gone you will find it easier to focus and complete the tasks which are of utmost importance.
- Become a Positive Influence – Sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation to get organized on our own. By getting organized you may be the influence that a friend or family member needed.
Here’s another tip – Print this article and post it somewhere you will see it daily. That way getting and/or staying organized will always be at the top of your “to-do” list.
Thank you for stopping by my blog! Please feel free to share these tips and/or comment below!