How often do you find yourself unable to complete your daily “to-do” list? Do you often get distracted by email, social media, etc? If so, you are not alone!! I am totally guilty of getting engulfed in Facebook or Pinterest and not getting ANYTHING on my to-do list completed. When I finally realized by business was being negatively affected by my inability to complete my daily tasks, I set out to learn a little Productivity 101! Now I’m going to share my secrets with you. 🙂
1. Make a formal “to-do” list. Don’t just rely on your brain to remember everything that needs to be done! I suggest starting with a weekly to-do list and then dividing items up by their importance.
2. Tackle the yucky stuff first. The longer you put something off the harder it gets to actually do it, so don’t wait!! It should go directly at the top of your list.
3. Identify the times you do your best work. For instance, I am NOT a morning person! I would rather stay up all night to complete a task than get up early. So my peak performance times are typically between the hours of 10:00 am and on. I make sure to divide my schedule accordingly, usually.
4. Schedule time for the fun stuff! In other words, social media should be scheduled into your day so it won’t take over the entire day. If you must, set a timer to alert you when the fun time is over. It is way too easy to lose track of time while on social media.
5. Batch similar tasks. Schedule a block of time for making phone calls or sending emails, for instance. It is much simpler and time-effective not to space them out.
6. Choose your location carefully! If you work from home, make sure you have a spot that you can go and not be interrupted, for instance. Or if you find you work better at the corner coffeehouse, go there!
7. Set deadlines for task completion. If you get stuck in a rut during a task, move to the next one when time is up. You may need a fresh start later to regain inspiration.
8. Make sure you have something to work on during lulls or waiting times. I always have a book or something to read if I ever find myself waiting on a client or in a doctor’s office. I love to read books that are beneficial to my business and could possibly help me get ahead in my field. I suggest you choose books that will help you do the same, too.
9. Envision it and it will happen. Envision that you make it to the end of your to-do list daily and it will be more likely to happen!
10. Reward yourself! When you complete an important task or lengthy task, reward yourself!! I like to get a facial or manicure/pedicure when I finish something big!
11. Begin again at the end of each day. In other words, make your to-do list for the following day at the end of each day. Keep it handy so you can add to it if needed. I like to keep my to-do list in a purse-sized notebook and to make it more fun I use different color ink pens! The little things…lol.
12. And last but not least…delegate!! Delegate anything you can! For instance, hire a personal assistant (part-time or full-time) to run errands for you or enlist the help of an accountant!
I can promise you that if you follow these simple productivity rules, you will accomplish every single goal you set for yourself. It is a work-in-progress though. I have to constantly keep myself on target because of the evil Facebook and Pinterest! They are so much fun, but can totally suck time.
Let me know if your productivity picks up after following my tips! I hope so!
Thanks for stopping by!