Thank you, for inspiring this post Stacey!!!
Social media sites, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin, have become outlets where we socialize, conduct business, and vent about how horrible our day is, and unfortunately, the latter occurs more often than it should.
I’ve noticed a trend on these social media sites and I wonder if you have, too. People seem to have lost their manners! What do you think? Can you recall a moment when you or a friend has displayed manners that would not be tolerated if you were face to face? I can recall MANY! So today I would like to teach a little class on “Social Media Etiquette.”
- Always introduce yourself – When you are adding a “friend” or a “follower”, always introduce yourself via a message if you aren’t 100% sure they remember who you are. There are a lot of spammers out there!
- Speaking of spammers! This is self-explanatory…but never spam. If you aren’t in the habit of keeping up with your social media accounts on a weekly basis you should be! You never know when a spammer could hack into your account and pose as you!
- Think before speaking! This is the most important rule! If you wouldn’t say something in public or to someone’s face, don’t say it over social media!!
- Keep photos tasteful! We don’t need to see you riding that bull at the bar last night!
- Don’t post excessively. A few times a day is ok, but every minute or every time you change locations, or your tooth hurts, or your pet makes a funny face…it can be too much!
- Respond to other’s posts. If you want people to pay attention to what you have to say, show that you are interested in what they have to say, too!
- Avoid text speak. U kno wat i meen…This makes you look like an idiot!!! (my opinion!)
- Don’t “unfollow” someone without a VERY good reason. Just because you are mad at someone at that exact moment doesn’t mean that you should “unfriend” them or stop following them. It looks extremely childish.