Managing Gossip and Rumors
Unfortunately, gossip and rumors are always going to be a part of our lives and there isn’t too much we can do about it. However, there is a way to manage the gossip and rumors when they happen to you.
Have you ever been the brunt of gossip and/or rumors? I have and I remember the first time it got back to me. LOL! It was in high school and someone, who never came forward, started a rumor that I got a nose job! Can you believe it?!! Anyway, it never matters how ridiculous a rumor is, someone is always going to believe it.
Since that time in high school, there have been plenty more rumors and gossip about me. Luckily, I’ve learned how to handle them. Below are my tips:
If you find yourself being a gossiper:
1. Know that you appear jealous when you gossip about someone else.
2. You look bad to others, especially those who don’t like gossip.
3. You will appear untrustworthy. No one will want to tell you anything for fear you will repeat it.
If you are the gossipee:
1. Always keep personal information to yourself. The only person you can completely trust is yourself.
2. Try to find the source of the gossip.
3. Always abide by the rules of etiquette and you will stand out way above the crowd
How to confront the gossiper:
1. Do it in private. Don’t feed the gossip fuel by giving others a view.
2. Speak with respect, not anger. It may be hard but you will come out ahead!
3. Simply give the gossiper the correct info. He or she will most likely be embarrassed they were caught and that will be enough to put a stop to it.
So what rumors or gossip has been started about you?