“Pay it forward”, simply put, is the theory that the actions we take can have a positive affect that creates a momentum of more positive affects. So with that said, let me ask you a question – If you knew for a fact that it would only take one positive action, no matter how big or small, to make a change in the world, would you take it? I would! In fact, I am making it a point to follow my own advice and take at least one of the following actions to pay it forward. Will you join me?
- Give a copy of a good book, a motivational quote, or an inspirational article to a friend or simply leave it behind at the coffee shop for a stranger.
- Prepare a to-go box of food for someone in need (stranger, sick friend, etc.)
- Make a donation to a non-profit of your choice.
- Let someone cut in front of you at the grocery store, while driving, or at the movie theater.
- Give free lessons in a skill that you excel at.
- Cut your elderly neighbor’s grass
- Donate your hair to “Locks of Love”
- Be polite to telemarketers. (they are just doing their job)
- Compliment a stranger
There are many, many other ways to pay it forward, so feel free to add to the list above!
Also, pay attention to the nice things others do for you and make the conscious effort to do the same thing(s) for someone else. Maybe one day we will live in a more peaceful world.
Note: This article was supposed to go in the latest issue of Panache Magazine but it somehow didn’t make the cut. I hope you like it!!