What Every Hostess Should Have on Hand
As the holiday season fast approaches the odds of receiving a last-minute guest rises greatly, so I thought I would make it MUCH easier on you by giving you a few tips on how to be prepared when the unexpected happens.
In my opinion, a hostess should have the following items in her home at all times:
1. A good bottle of Chardonnay and a good bottle of Cabernet. Keep in mind that for a bottle to be “good” it doesn’t have to be expensive. For instance, Woodbridge and Clos de Bois wines are both under $15 a bottle and are wonderful!
2. A great tasting cheese! Visit specialty stores in your neighborhood to find some interesting and tasty varieties. Oh! Don’t forget the crackers, too!
3. A card table and matching chairs – in case extra seating is needed.
4. Guest soaps – not only are they good for last-minute guests, but you can also use them as last-minute gifts!!
5. Cocktail napkins – Cocktail napkins are also great last-minute gifts! One more little tip – Although the “Meet my new best friend” type of napkins are cute and funny, I wouldn’t suggest keeping them on hand. Instead, choose something a little more formal and tasteful.
6. Candles – Candles add a certain ambience to every situation so don’t get stuck without them. Just be sure to keep scented ones away from food.
So…is there anything I’m missing? Would the above items get YOU through a last-minute visit?