Body language is an important part of communication so it is imperative that you learn to decipher negative and positive body languages so you’ll know which ones to use and which ones to stay away from. Afterall, you don’t want someone to misinterpret what you are saying or doing. Check out my tips below to see how your body language stacks up!
1. Legs crossed, arms crossed = not friendly, annoyed
2. Leaning head on hand with elbows on table = disinterested, bored
3. Tapping foot = rushed, not paying attention
4. Direct, strong eye contact = aggressive
5. Hair twisting – unsure, shy
6. Hands on hips – angry
Did any one of those ring a bell? Do you have a nervous tic of some sort that you feel may come across negatively to others? The first step to conquering it is realizing it! Here are a few more tips on body language:
- Good eye contact is essential! Just realize the difference in an aggressive stare and the perfect gaze. It’s ok to glance away every now and then so you will not make the other person uncomfortable, but never allow them to think you are uninterested or not paying attention.
- A smile says it all. Always keep a pleasant smile on your face even if you aren’t having the best day. You never know when that smile may affect someone positively.
So tell me!! Do you have any bad body language habits that you’d like to break?