How to Organize Your Refrigerator:
As a professional organizer, I often see that the refrigerator is the LAST thing that clients worry about organizing. In fact, they don’t even think about it! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to an initial consultation with a client, to talk about organizing their kitchen, and when I mention that it also includes their refrigerator a look of “OMG! I didn’t even think of that” comes over their face. And then in the end they are amazed at how much easier it is to do EVERYTHING in the kitchen. Try it! You’ll see! Here are my tips below:
1. First things are always first! Remove everything from your fridge and toss old leftovers and expired items.
2. Group all like items together – For instance, put all your condiments together, all juices together, meats, cheeses, veggies, etc.
3. Remember that your shelves are adjustable! Most refrigerator shelves are adjustable and most people never realize how much it helps to adjust them!
4. Decant those bulky juice and milk cartons! Not only will you be able to see EXACTLY how much juice or milk is left, but it is just so much fun to look inside your fridge and see those pretty clear pitchers! (At least for me it is!)
5. Bring the organizing products in! Yep! Just because you would normally use a lazy susan in a cabinet doesn’t mean that it can’t be used inside the refrigerator, too! The lazy susan is my favorite thing to put in a refrigerator because it is perfect for small jars of pickle relish, mustard, olives, etc…
6. Make a new use for your crisper! Now that there are tons of useful containers that keep fruit and vegetables fresher longer, you can use the crisper for other items such as cokes, individually wrapped items, or anything else that needs corralling.
Now…how do you feel? More relaxed? Anxious to make a new dish? Excited? Tell me!!