Let’s face it…with each passing year it gets easier and easier to let manners and etiquette fall by the wayside. I think it’s because of how far technology has come, but what do you think? I mean, it’s like we don’t ever have to really see anyone face to face anymore, so people think the normal etiquette rules don’t apply. However, I disagree! Below are 10 Etiquette Rules That Everyone Should Know and no one should break!
- First things first! Just because someone else isn’t following the rules of etiquette doesn’t mean you shouldn’t either.
- Take a little piece of humble pie. No one is ever better than anyone else, so always keep that in the back of your mind.
- Respect tradition! Follow the basic rules of holding the door open for someone, respecting your elders, etc.
- Always use “please” and “thank you.” Even the busboy deserves a little recognition sometimes!
- Remember not to take your friends and family for granted.
- Know common table manners! Chew with your mouth closed, navigate your place setting from the outside in, place your napkin in your lap, etc.
- Try your best to always be on time. (Note – I even have trouble with this one! I mean, GAH! I’m a woman!! Sometimes, things happen, like the outfit I picked out the night before looked better on the hanger than it did on me!)
- Apply the “golden rule” in every situation!
- Always hand-write thank you notes! A text message or email just isn’t the same. Trust me.
- Tap into your morals. If something doesn’t feel right…don’t do it!
So, what do you think? Did I leave anything out?