Making a good first impression during an interview is key to getting the job you want and deserve. Below are a few tips for acing an interview:
- Dress for the job you want, not necessarily the job you are applying for. It’s better to be overdressed than underdressed.
- Perfect your resume and know what it says! Many employers will ask you questions directly about your resume so don’t fake it.
- Always arrive five minutes early, just in case.
- Shake hands, make eye contact, and smile.
- Sit when prompted to sit and sit up straight and with your legs crossed at the ankle
- Never ask the employer any personal questions. Stick to being formal rather than informal with him/her.
- Try not to fidget during your interview. It will make you appear nervous and/or ill-prepared.
- Always thank the employer when the interview is complete and again stand, make eye contact, shake hands, and smile.
- Follow up the interview with a small, hand-written thank you note.
- Never call more than one time to check on the progress of your application.
Erin Sharplin Love