Every Sunday is “cleaning day” for me and I realized yesterday that my cleaning supply closet may have been the most disorganized spot in my house. So I decided to organize it! Let me share with you what I did:
1. First things first! I removed everything from the closet and in the process found a few things that didn’t really belong in the broom closet.
2. I took the few things that did not belong in the broom closet to their rightful places.
3. Alot of cleaning products come in boxes and I don’t like boxes. You can’t see how many of the item you have. For instance, I took everything out of boxes that is individually wrapped or is not toxic – like swiffer duster sheets. I replaced the boxes with baskets. That way I can see what I have and I will know when I need to replace something.
4. I keep light bulbs in my broom closet, so I took each bulb out of their boxes, as I did in the previous step, and put them in labelled baskets.
5. I united all of the cleaning items I use into a carrying case that I can pick up and carry from room to room with me.
6. I placed all extra items, such as, bulk items for refills in a seperate spot that is easy to get to.
7. When I organize a broom closet for a client I typically purchase a “broom/mop organizer” but I didn’t have one yesterday so I had to improvise. I screwed some hooks into the walls and on the door of the closet that I found in my husbands shop. Then I hung all of my brooms,mops, swiffer dusters, etc. onto those hooks to save floor space.
Now next Sunday it will be so much easier to clean!! I am not dreading it as much as I usually do!
Erin Sharplin Love