If you are like me, you have tons of clothes and not quite enough room to store them all! Especially the bulky sweaters and jackets that come with the changing of the seasons. Luckily for us, they make storage bins and that wonderful new invention…the Space Bag! Space Bags are perfect for items like heavy comforters, ski clothes, and other thick, space-stealing items. Storage bins, on the other hand, are great for fall and winter shoes, purses, and other accessories. Whatever you use, there comes a time to dig them out and begin the tedious task of switching out you seasonal items. Below are a few tips to get you to start thinking about that switch!
1. It is always a good idea to clean items before storing them. Otherwise you may end up with ruined clothing!
2. It is also a good idea to place a cedar block or other moth (bug) repellent inside your storage bins and bags. Not only will they keep the bugs away…they’ll keep the stench at bay! (Oooooh! I rhymed!)
3. Always store items away from sunlight and moisture. The sunlight can fade and the moisture will cause your items to mildew.
4. You should always check on your items every month or so to make sure nothing is going wrong with them. This is also a good time to pop in a dryer sheet or something to keep the items smelling fresh.
5. When you go to unpack items that have been stored it may be a good idea to freshen and fluff them by running them on the air fluff cycle of your dryer.
So this is your challenge for this week. If you haven’t purchased storage bins or space bags, go ahead and invest in some heavy duty ones. I promise you’ll eventually use them! You should also begin making any repairs to pieces that you will need to store. Let me know if you need any help!
Erin Sharplin Love