Each year haute couture designers come out with new “trends” or “fads” for each season. Ready to wear designers take their cue from them and begin to design clothing for everyday people like me and you. Some of these trends may not be right for every person or for every body type. The best advice I can give to you as a certified fashion and image consultant is that you don’t have to wear something just because it is the trendy thing to do.
After all, we all have different tastes, as well as, body types. If you don’t like a trend that happens to be hot at the moment, don’t wear it. You will only appear uncomfortable. If there happens to be a trend that you love, try it out. Experiment with it. There are many different designers and one of them should fit your idea of the trend perfectly. If not, however, don’t force yourself to wear something that doesn’t look good on you.
For instance, for the fall, frills and lace are aplenty. If you are small in stature it will be difficult to wear a frilly shirt without it wearing you! You may be able to find a toned down version, however, and that would be the one to go with. My point is that it is alright to play with the trends to find the perfect one for you, but by no means do you have to submit to all of the trends.
I have come up with a quiz to help you to figure out if you may be a “fashion fad addict”. I would love to hear some of your responses. If you have time, please e-mail them to me. Or if you have any other questions, please feel free to call or e-mail me!
Hope to hear from all of you soon!
Are you a “Fashion Fad Addict”?
- Do you constantly buy the latest and the greatest that you’ve seen in magazines or other media?
- Does your entire wardrobe represent many styles/eras of clothing?
- Do you often feel as if you don’t have a “thing to wear”?
- Do you have many fashion mistakes within your wardrobe?
- Do you have family and friends who feel your clothing is a bit “over the top”?
- Do you often feel as if you are not dressed correctly for the occasion?
- Do you find yourself discarding many items of clothing and accessories each season?
- Do you often feel as if your clothing attracts unwanted attention?
- Do you experience feelings of boredom with classic wardrobe pieces?
- Do you often find yourself regretting purchases, not knowing where or when you will wear them?
If you’ve answered “yes” to one or two of the above, you’re probably not a Fashion Fad Addict, as everyone needs variety.
If you’ve answered “yes” to two to four of the above, you probably need to watch your fashion step, as you could become a Fashion Fad Addict.
If you’ve answered “yes” to four to six of the above, you need to approach fashion more rationally with an eye towards longer term, more basic pieces.
If you’ve answered “yes” to six to ten of the above, you are indeed a Fashion Fad Addict, and your wardrobe and pocket book are suffering, as the fashions you are attracted to, and purchase are fads and don’t have a long fashion life. Some change here is probably
Also, if you answered “yes” to any of the above questions a certified fashion and image consultant could be your answer!
Erin Sharplin Love