Trends come and go but there are some tried and true ways to always be in style.
- Don’t rely on trends…they come and go. Don’t waste money on trendy pieces that will be out next year. Instead, choose pieces that are stylish but everlasting. Here are a few examples:
¾ The dark denim, wide-leg jeans
¾ A-line tops
¾ The LBD (little black dress)
- Don’t do all of your shopping from the sales rack. I enjoy a good sale as much as everyone else, but a “sale” usually consists of items that didn’t sell previously or are going to be out-of-date soon. There are always exceptions, and you might really hit a good sale, so be aware of the lure to buy just because an item is on sale. Make sure it is stylish and everlasting.
- Know what colors look best on you. Even if something is “stylish” on the hanger, it will not translate into being stylish on you if it drains all the color from your face.
- Take the time to determine your own personal style. Change is hard, so this step can be challenging, so don’t be afraid to ask for help. Sometimes it takes a new person to give you new ideas.
- Comfort and style are synonymous! Now I don’t mean t-shirt and tennis shoes comfortable! I just mean that you will know that you’ve found your personal style when you are comfortable in your outfits. “Comfort” is more than just physical. It’s mental, too.
- Dress for the body you have now…not the body you wish for. No matter what size you are, I promise there is clothing out there that will accentuate all of your positive attributes!
- With accessories you must know when enough is enough. I don’t necessarily believe in the “take one piece of jewelry off before you walk out the door” policy, but I do believe that accessories can make or break an outfit. Here’s a tip – If you look in the mirror and your eyes can’t rest on one thing in your outfit, you probably have too much going on. In other words, go for one stand out piece, not four.
- Use a tailor! Sometimes clothing will have to be altered in some way to make it fit properly, so take that into account when you are out shopping. Never wear something that is not tailored to fit your body perfectly.
- Hair and makeup should fit into the mix somewhere. Always keep up-to-date with hairstyles and makeup. Nothing will throw your outfit off more!
- Treat your clothing properly. Never use wire hangers. They will tend to “deform” your clothing. If the label says “dry clean,” it is best to leave it to the professionals. And last, but not least, take care to store your purses and shoes in a way that they will not lose their shape or get scuffed.
Please let me know if you have any additions to my list. I would love your input!
P.S. – THE NEWEST ISSUE OF PANACHE MAGAZINE IS HERE!!
Erin Sharplin Love